Tuesday, August 3, 2010

SUMMER 2010

Today I must come to accept the inevitable: in two weeks I'll be returning to school/work. Summer 2010 will come to a close and it will be time to commence to "molding young minds." Although I am becoming a bit bored, I'm still not really ready to make my return.

First, I haven't finished my summer "To Do List." I haven't read the stack of books I wanted to read "for fun." I've gone nowhere, not even Galveston. And until the past two weeks, I haven't worked more than two shifts/week at the restaurant all summer long.

I'm also going to miss my dogs like crazy. They have gotten so used to my being home, and I've become an expert at wasting time with them. I am predicting all three of us will have a rough adjustment period. I know I'll look forward to getting home to them every afternoon.

But on the bright side of things, I've actually made some friends at school: "Shouts out to Ashley, Elise, Kendall, Lydia, and Meggan." This should make the days more fun when you've got friends with other common interests to talk with throughout the day. And of course we'll continue with our fabulous "Girls' Night," so that will be fun!

Yea for me! I've got more AP and GT classes than academic classes this year. This should cut down greatly on behavioral and academic progress documentation. We should actually get some things accomplished during 2010-2011!

Other than "Teacher," I have no other job titles this year. No "Team Leader," no "Mentor." This means I'm pretty much only responsible for me and my students. I'm definitely ready for a break in this area as I've been in charge of something for the last fifteen years. It's nice to finally be able to pass the torch.

A big plus is that I associate the beginning of the school year with the beginning of college (Go Sooners!) and professional (Go Vikings!) football season. That always speeds the first semester along.

Lastly, I'm hoping to follow our school soccer team a bit more closely. Depending on what I see, I may decide to return to coaching somewhere down the line.

So all in all, I'm thinking it's going to be a pretty good year. I've got all my "school supplies," my classroom is already set up, and I've even started writing lesson plans for the first six weeks. Now it's just time to get nervous about the first day!

1 comment:

  1. YAY! Although going back to work is not exactly wonderful, I AM excited about seeing everyone regularly!! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete