Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Top 10 Reasons Being Single Sucks

I've really struggled to come up with a creative introduction for this blog. At almost half a century old, I believe I'm an expert in the field of being single. Therefore let me begin with this: I HATE BEING SINGLE!!!
There. Now that that's out of the way, here are the "Top 10 Reasons Being Single Sucks."

10. There is no "good" way to cook for one. Have you ever seen a recipe for a single serving of pot roast? After the second night of leftovers, you'll never want to see pot roast again.

9. You are responsible for making all decisions. From what kind of car to buy to the color of carpeting to put in your house, all decisions fall squarely on your and only your shoulders. Even trivial decisions such as where to eat dinner can at times seem overwhelming.

8. There's no one to talk to at the end of the day. Humans thrive on interpersonal communication. They need someone to share the day's highs and lows. Even the closest friend or family member cannot provide the emotional intimacy of a significant other.

7. The IRS hates single, childless people. I know this because I've never received a single deduction for my relationship status. My accountant can provide additional proof via my tax returns for the past twenty-five years.

6. There is no one to plan/take vacations with. Whether it's New Orleans or Disney World or Jamaica, traveling alone is unappealing (and in this day and time it's a safety issue). Personally I'm dreading returning to school next month and listening to all the wonderful places people visited and when it's my turn piping up, "Me? I didn't go anywhere."

5. Being the 3rd wheel sucks. Seating arrangements for most events (dinners, football games, weddings) are usually done in pairs. There's nothing like being the one that needs that lone, "odd" chair. And who wants to be a "tag along?"

4. Friday night out consists of takeout and being asleep by 9 PM. It seldom crosses the minds of other couples to include their "single" friends in their plans. And even if they do, the aforementioned #5 comes into play. Most weekends I find my family and friends forget my existence completely.

3. There is no restitution for the amount of money a single person spends on special occasions for couples and their children. Various showers not to mention gift giving times such as birthdays, Christmases, and graduations (especially when kids become involved) are costly for singles. To continually cough up $25-$100 gifts multiple times throughout the year and only receive a $25 gift card at Christmas in return hardly tips the scales in favor of equality.

2. Holidays are depressing. Let's skip Valentine's Day altogether. Since no one is in love with the single person, there's definitely no chocolates, flowers, or romantic dates. At Christmas, when everyone shows off what their spouses got them, the single person sits quietly in the corner. There's no one to kiss at midnight on New Years Eve. No one's hand to hold while watching fireworks on the 4th. And on your birthday, if you're lucky, you might get dinner with the folks, a cake, and a present from Mom. (Gee, after reading this one, no wonder I want to crawl into a hole and die on these days).

...And the #1 reason being single sucks...

You always question why you aren't/weren't deserving of of someone else's love. Eventually you reach the point where you continually ask yourself, "What is wrong with me?" "Why did I never get a chance?" "What can I change to make myself more lovable?" "Why am I not good enough?" And the list goes on, and on, and on....

Now I realize there is a topic or two I did not approach today. I did so in hopes of sparing embarrassment for some family members and friends. Just know that if I ever get around to actually writing a book, "Being Single" will be a strong contender for a topic. That being said, I'm sure I will periodically revisit the issue on this blog, at which time I could very well cover omitted sections!

No comments:

Post a Comment