Saturday, June 26, 2010

"Why Blog?"

When I was younger, I loved to write. Short stories, poetry, songs, journal entries.... Heck, even through grad school, I was that student who just couldn't wait to write their research paper, term paper, thesis paper, whatever. Case in point, I had done most of my research for my English IV class the summer before my senior year, and I pretty much had my thesis written before I ever enrolled in my first post graduate course.

Maybe this is why I became an English teacher. Afterall, everyone, and I do mean EVERYONE in my family is some sort of math major. And if you know me at all, you know that I've always had a lot to say.

But then, a funny thing happened on my way into the classroom. I stopped writing. Don't get me wrong. I still wrote poems, anecdotes, essays, etc... for my students to view as models of writing. I'd write a quick letter or many a witty email. And ssshhhh! Don't repeat this one. I even wrote papers for other educators. But somewhere along the way, I quit writing for the fun of it. Something that I've known for a long time completely contradicts everything I tell and teach my students.

Much like the kids I teach, I can offer plenty of excuses as to why I abandoned something that was once so important to me. "I got too busy." "Nobody would want to read what I had to say." "I couldn't think of anything to write about." " It was too hard." The list could go on, and on, and on. You get the idea.

What I can't do is come up with any excuses as to why it would be too late to start writing again. Yeah, I'm still busy and people still might not want to read what I have to say. I still get writer's block and it's still a difficult process. And heaven forbid I should offend someone with my opinion. If I really come clean here, I think the real problem is that to do it and do it well is going to require commitment. There, I said it. The dreaded "C" word. But enough (for now) on my issues with commitment. Bottom line is, I still love to write.

So this blog page is about me returning to something I love doing. The blogs will be about whatever is on my mind at the time. It might be controversial, or silly, or sarcastic, or heavy. It might be short; it might be long. Maybe I'll blog once a day; maybe I'll blog once a month. None of that matters. The only promise I'm going to make is the one that I'm making to myself, and that is, I will resume writing. If you choose to tune in and follow along (and I hope you do) that's great! If you decide not to, well that's all good too! Who knows? Maybe this will inspire YOU to do something you gave up a long time ago and would like to attempt again.

Until next time....

1 comment:

  1. How fun, I always loved hearing what you had to say Jilly Bean

    ReplyDelete